Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Just Quit Thinking Your Ideas Won't Work

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

~ Eleanor Roosevelt

I’ve been drawn to focusing on “ideas” and dreams that people tell me about.  As we go through this recession I realize that it’s so important for people to believe in their ideas.

The Creative Class

When I look at the stats for this blog, there are about 20 people EVERYDAY that do a google search “quit my job without another one”, or some variation of that search term, and end up on this blog.  Even at a time when so many people are looking for jobs, many more are miserable in the ones that they have.

I’m beginning to really think that it’s not about the lower class, middle class and upper class – it’s all about the Creative Class –  that is wanting to emerge and is tired of being stifled in a boxed-in type of “job”.  I’m thinking that people are going to have to discover their passions, pursue their ideas in order to survive in the new world economy.

You might have to “create” your own job.  Create a service or product people need and want that you produce…from consumer to producer.

I’ve been thinking of what I can do to help people believe in their ideas, do something towards making them a reality and decided I wanted to make something – a product.

IDEA Jar ™

My crafts are typically all very unique quotations or encouraging words burned onto wood, but I went looking for something I could make that would be one product about ideas.

I ran across light bulb bottles.  I brought a couple of them to play with.  I just looked at them for a couple of days, just wondering what I would do with them.  The below is my latest design, still working on it, but I’m close to something that might actually be practical and artistic:

 

We all have ideas

We need to encourage ourselves &

each other to pursue them.

Today while still focused on ideas I ran across the below video.

It’s  Mr. Rogers re-mix: “You can Grow Ideas in the Garden of Your Mind”…the Lyrics are below

[Intro – spoken]

Hey Neighbor, welcome again to this neighborhood. I’d like to show you something. Do you know what this is? Well, maybe if I push this button. This is a cassette player with a little cassette in here. And there’s nothing written on it so we’ll have to play it to see what’s on it

[Verse 1]
Did you ever imagine things?
Are they scary things?
Did you ever imagine things
Things you’d like to have?
Did you ever see a cat’s eyes in the dark
And wonder what they are?
Did you ever pretend about things like that before?

[Hook]
Did ever grow anything in the Garden of your Mind?
You can grow ideas
In the Garden of your mind

It’s good to be curious about many things
You can think about things and make believe
All you have to do is think
And they’ll grow

[Verse 2]
Imagine every person that you see
Is someone different
From every other person in the world
Some can do things
Some can do others
Did you ever think about the many things you’ve learned to do?

[Hook]
Did ever grow anything in the Garden of your Mind?
You can grow ideas
In the Garden of your mind

It’s good to be curious about many things
You can think about things and make believe
All you have to do is think
And they’ll grow

[Bridge]
Did you feel like going like that? (hand snap)
Let’s give the fish some food
Mr McFeely, I didn’t order any whistles
(music break)
That’s what they call these slide things
Did you feel like going like that? (hand snap)
There are so many things to learn about in this world
And so many people who can help us learn

[Hook]
Did ever grow anything in the Garden of your mind?
You can grow ideas
In the Garden of your mind

It’s good to be curious about many things
You can think about things and make believe
All you have to do is think

You can think about things and make believe
All you have to do is think

And they’ll grow
Do you ever imagine